Gluten-free refreshing raspberry or strawberry lemon bars are perfect for summer and a natural way to get more than 1/3 of your daily vitamin C requirements. If you garnish this recipe with 1 ½ cups of fresh blueberries, you also get the benefit of 3 grams of fiber per serving and the true look of summer! Enjoy the wonderful combination of fresh strawberry, banana, and a hint of lemon.
To make these delicious bars, simply add 1 cup of pureed fruit to Marion's Basic Lemon Bar recipe. Marion’s favorite is using raspberries only, but you have plenty of options. You may choose strawberries instead of raspberries, or you may prepare a puree consisting of 1 small banana and sufficient fresh strawberries (approximately 1 cup of medium strawberries) to yield 1 cup of pureed mixed fruit. Another option is to combine strawberries with a small mango. For a little extra punch, add 1 tablespoon of shredded coconut to the crust, or rum or other alcoholic flavoring to the crust, fruit filling or both. Adults only if alcohol is used.
In the box: Marion's Gluten-Free Lemon Bar crust mix is the heavier pouch with the words "crust mix" imprinted. Marion's Gluten-Free Lemon Bar filling blend is the lighter pouch with the words "filling" imprinted in small letters.
What You Need:
- 1 box Marion's Smart Delights Lemon Bar Mix
- 5 large eggs (4 eggs will also work but result in a little less filling)
- 1 stick cold, unsalted butter or dairy-free margarine
- 8-10 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup pureed fruit (Note: The below nutritional information is based on bars made from 1 small banana and 1 cup of medium strawberries.)
- 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Optional for crust: GF baking spray. 1 tablespoon of shredded coconut. A few drops of rum or other alcoholic flavoring.
- Optional for filling: For darker red color, 3-5 drops red natural food coloring mixed with your pureed fruit. For a sweeter bar, sprinkle with powdered sugar after baking or add an extra tablespoon of your favorite sweetener with the pureed fruit.
- Optional for garnish: 1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries